Would you like to walk with the Wendover Canal Trust? Are you looking for somewhere local to go? Our next walk is on Saturday August 6th. We leave Meads Farmhouse Kitchen HP23 4NT (a couple of miles from Tring, Herts) at 10.30am.
Time to simply take in the fresh air, appreciate our beautiful countryside, and ‘get back’ with nature? We are offering just that, a “Walk and Talk” guided by a member of the Wendover Canal Trust. Along the towpath and around Wilstone Reservoir with an update regarding the restoration along the way, 3 miles which at a steady pace takes about 2 hours. Meet Jenny Brice and Eric Rose in Meads overflow car park at 10.15am.
What you will see
While on the walk, you will be able to:
- View a section of the Wendover Canal under restoration.
- See fine examples of 18thC Engineering, recently refurbished by the trust to meet current safety and operational standards.
- Have a chance to spot extensive Bird and Wildlife in and around the large Wilstone reservoir. (The reservoir is graded as a Site of Special Scientific Interest SSSI.)
- Discover why the reservoirs were built, and what purpose they still play today.
- Learn some of the fascinating history of the area from your knowledgeable guide.
We are organising Wendover Walks on the first Saturday of each month until September. They start at 10.30am and last about 2 hours. Along the way you will see a section of the Canal under restoration by the Wendover Canal Trust. You will be able to appreciate the immense effort that has gone into the project. We try to schedule our walks to match our work party dates, so you may have the chance to speak with our volunteers and ask about any aspect of what they are doing.
The walks are along tracks which can be muddy. At various points we climb steps and slopes; all this makes it unsuitable for buggies and wheelchairs. Suitable footwear is required. For further details, information on how to take part and contact details, please email Jenny at email@example.com .